Interested? *UPDATED*

*UPDATED*

Lets include a critic of the ocean cleanup projects “feasibility study”

TOC Technical Review

“The Ocean Cleanup, Part 2: Technical review of the feasibility study

This is the second of a two-part post. In the first installment, Kim presented alternatives to this project. This installment is a collaboration between Kim and Miriam. Dr. Kim Martini is a physical oceanographer who has been involved in the deployment of a variety of deep sea oceanographic moorings. Dr. Miriam Goldstein is a biological oceanographer who has studied the ecological impacts of plastic pollution in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre.

Originally, we had decided not to engage with this project again, since being a naysayer is neither fun nor professionally rewarding [1]. However, we have decided to team up to conduct a serious technical review of the feasibility study for the following reasons:

  • We believe that the popular momentum behind the Ocean Cleanup could lead to real change provided it is channeled into a workable solution

We think that the Ocean Cleanup genuinely wants to help the ocean, and we commend them for taking our past critiques seriously. Some parts of the feasibility study are thoughtfully and carefully done, such as Chapter 3.3, Boom Capture Efficiency. However, other sections of the feasibility study are incomplete and/or inaccurate, and there is a lack of cohesion between sections. In addition, some of the conclusions presented in the executive summary are not backed up by the conclusions in the individual sections.”

 

Preserving Hawaii’s many historic, cultural, ecological resources drives the HOPC agenda to produce products & services that generate positive impact towards the benefit of the community utilizing an extensive burden on society and the community as a whole: ocean plastics. It is important to HOPC to benefit the community we operate in as much as possible through our innovative approach and business model.

Private profits, public benefit and environmental stewardship can go hand-in-hand: this is HOPC.

Here is are a couple of recent technical reports:

One from the Ocean CleanUp Project:

http://theoceancleanup.com/

Feasibility Study From: The Ocean CleanUp

An interesting concept and approach, the numbers seem to be a bit off but however we enthusiastically support any and all efforts to collect, process and repurpose ocean plastics! Valuable information on a concept for the largest mooring project ever conducted. Very beginning stages from the ocean cleanup project, but interesting to explore the logistics of a large scale passive array for plastic collection in an ocean body. Not exactly sure why the booms only go down to 5m from the surface of the open ocean, since its well established that about only ~30% of the plastic in the ocean floats where the other ~70% sinks.

Regardless, we support these efforts and as they gain traction we all only benefit.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140715-ocean-plastic-debris-trash-pacific-garbage-patch/

“When marine ecologist Andres Cozar Cabañas and a team of researchers completed the first ever map of ocean trash, something didn’t quite add up.

Their work, published this month in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, did find millions of pieces of plastic debris floating in five large subtropical gyres in the world’s oceans. But plastic production has quadrupled since the 1980s, and wind, waves, and sun break all that plastic into tiny bits the size of rice grains. So there should have been a lot more plastic floating on the surface than the scientists found.”

Plastic Ocean Report

 

Private profits, public benefit and environmental stewardship can go hand-in-hand: this is HOPC.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s